Eating healthy doesn’t have to break the bank and come with a hefty price tag. It IS possible to make good, nutritional choices and eat healthy on a budget. No Excuses! How many of us have good intentions and buy produce, but by the end of the week, we are throwing it away? Read more on the top tips we at Get Fit Now Fitness Studio came up with. If you have any other tips, we’d love to hear from you!
- Store your Fresh Produce. Properly organize your fridge so that you don’t forget what amazing produce you bought and by the end of the week, its been forgotten and has gone bad. Store the most perishable food towards the front so you know what ingredients you should be cooking with at the beginning of the week. Find out the best ways to store fresh veggies so they stay fresh as long as possible.
- Buy fresh produce when it’s in season and freeze it. Fresh produce is always great, but the cost can add up fast. Stick with buying what’s currently in season, and consider stocking up when you find a good deal. A good example would be in the summer to stock up on a few dozen ears of corn, and cut it from the ear and freeze it in bags. (more on meal prep in a minute!)
- Look for sales and plan meals accordingly. If your local store offers a savings card be sure sign up! You can check the weekly circular to see what’s on sale and consider planning your meals around sale items. This can save you tons if you plan accordingly.
- Vegetables. Vegetables are always on sale. . . for example, our local Kroeger had 10 for $10 on frozen veggies, so I stocked up on onions, bell peppers, carrots, and brussel sprouts. That’s a no brainer to stock up on healthy finds!
- Avoid Eating Out a Few Nights a week. Sure, we all like to go out and eat, but that should be saved for the weekend when you can really enjoy it. If you are eating out and going out for drinks a few nights a week, this can significantly cut into your weekly budget (as well as add to your waist!) . You generally don’t eat as healthy as if you prepared it lovingly at home! If you want to do dinner with friends, then suggest a potlock where everyone brings a dish. Or try new, healthy recipes with the savings you will have from doing the above! =)
We, here at Get Fit Now Fitness Studio care about what you are putting into your bodies and want you to think not about your grocery bill, but think about long term health benefits that you are giving yourself in your new, healthy lifestyle! Eating cheap, pre-packaged foods that contain all sorts of ingredients we can’t even pronounce can be attributed to health problems, such as diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and the list goes on. This is why eating healthy (even on a budget) is the best medical insurance you can give to yourself and your loved ones.
Here’s a quick delish snack you can whip up in under 30 minutes from Get Fit Now Fitness Studio’s Fitkini Challenge. Enjoy!
Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
Prep time: under 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: 3 servings
Serving size: 1/3 of recipe
Yumminess factor, over the roof!
15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 tsp chili powder
1 tspn extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Spray a cookie sheet or baking pan with nonstick cooking spray
In a medium size bowl, toss chickpeas with evoo, chili powder, salt and red pepper flakes.
Spread chickpeas onto cookie sheet
Bake chickpeas for 10 minutes turning throughout and then bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Remove from oven and let cool.
Serve immediately or store additional 2 servings for later.
Do you want to tone and tighten your thighs? Click here for workout video:
Remember, ladies, these words spoken by Napoleon Hill….”the starting point to all achievements is desire”.
The Get Fit Now Team