In just 4 short days we are going to be headed to Costa Rica for our second fitness retreat. We have been busy planning the menus and getting all of the workouts and excursions planned. In honor of the retreat I want to share with you one of our favorite Costa Rican dishes.
In Costa Rica beans and rice are a staple. It is typically served as a hearty breakfast along with eggs, plantains, tortillas, and coffee.
Now obviously if you’re trying to lose weight and tone up this would not be the most ideal daily breakfast. But I have come up with a “healthier” version of the typical Costa Rican Beans and rice that you could eat before you have a heavy training day or if you need a little extra fuel for a long hike or bike ride.
I would stick with 4oz of egg whites, 2 oz of plantains, and 2 oz of rice.
Costa Rica Beans and Rice
Yield: 8-10 servings
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups cooked black beans in 3/4 cup reserved cooking liquid
1/4 cup Salsa Lizano
3 cups cooked rice
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat until simmering.
- Saute chopped bell pepper and onions until peppers are soft and onions are translucent, about 6-8 minutes
- Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute
- Add black beans, reserved cooking liquid, and Salsa Lizano stirring to combine.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, until slightly thickened and little bit of the liquid is evaporated.
- Gently stir in cooked rice and cook until heated and most of the liquid is absorbed, but not dry, about 3-5 minutes
- Stir in chopped cilantro
- Season to taste with additional Salsa Lizano
I hope you enjoy this delicious recipe. Remember this is not something we eat on a weekly basis but it is a great treat every once in a while.
Try this recipe and then comment below to let me know how it turned out!
<3 Emily Napier