We all know that portion control is key when trying to lose weight, or even to maintain our current weight, but even with our best intentions, sometimes it is really hard to tell what “portion control” really is and how we can control it!! We always recommend using a food scale to weigh out our portions – protein (4 oz ) and veggies (4 oz); but we may not always have the option of weighing out our food. Our Transformation Coaches at Get Fit Now Fitness Studio came up with the following guidelines to follow so that it will be easier to control how much goes into our bodies, and if we all implement even a few of these tips, it should really help us attain our goals! So, here goes:
- Buy smaller bowls and plates. If you only use side plates and small rice bowls, this will be the right portion size and it will look like your plate is FULL!
- Dine tapas style at restaurants instead of ordering apps & one big meal. We prefer to share appetizers to try a variety of dishes and control how much food to put on our plate.
- Sit down and eat without distractions. If you eat alone try to focus on your meal and avoid reading, watching TV or talking on the phone. Distractions cause mindless eating.
- Stop eating when you are 80% full. Put the fork down and do something for 20-30 minutes. Talk on the phone, watch your favorite show or walk around so your food has time to settle in your stomach.
- Skip the bread basket at restaurants. Restaurant bread is about 200-300 calories per role or slice. Just ask the waiter not bring the bread or remove it to avoid the temptation.
- Drink a glass of water or eat a piece of fruit before a meal. Our mind often mistakes dehydration for hunger. A glass of water or an apple will do the trick to curb that hunger or craving so you can mindfully eat.
- Don’t order sides. Skip the chips or fries with the sandwich, the bread with the soup, the egg roll with the stir fry, etc. You get the point. Just eat the main meal and don’t add. If the meal does come with fattening sides, you can always request a veggie or side salad as a substitution.
- If you order take out or make food that is a much larger portion, put everything away in tupperware and place it in the fridge immediately after serving yourself. If it’s already cold and tucked away, you avoid the temptation of going back for seconds and you can realistically portion (on a small plate) how much you food you really need.
- As soon as you finish eating, brush your teeth to deter yourself from snacking. If you don’t have a tooth brush handy, chew gum.
We hope these tips help you with your portion control. Remember, anyone can workout for an hour, but to control what goes on your plate the other 23 hours….that’s hard work! 🙂
Are you following us on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest yet? If not, what are you waiting for??!! We are continually posting tips, recipes, workout videos and lots of inspiration to keep you motivated! We LOVE to see you succeed and are here for you every step of the way!
Committed to your success,
The GetFitNow Team