We all know this feeling too well…You wake up, ready to roll, with tons of energy all morning, and BOOM! Out of nowhere, 3 pm comes along, and we wonder why the time is moving so slowly and the afternoon is dragging. A slump can hit hard during the middle of the day when you still have items to check off your “things to do” list. This DOESN’T mean that you have to succumb to this feeling and go hit the vending machine or down a Coca-Cola!
Our Transformation Coaches at Get Fit Now Fitness Studio are no strangers to this feeling, so we made a list of some healthy, easy snacks to keep on hand and available so that you can keep your energy levels up and your slump a thing of the past.
1. Oranges. If you are feeling an afternoon slump in your future, start peeling that orange! Oranges have high levels of vitamin C, which has been proven to decrease fatigue about 2 hours after eating it. So if you know that you start crashing around 3 pm, go ahead and eat an orange around 1 pm! (A good tip is to have it pre-peeled in a ziplock bag or container to avoid sticky fingers while you’re typing!)
2. Dark Chocolate. We thought that this one would get your attention! Yes, you CAN indulge in a afternoon sweet treat! Besides the wonderful taste, dark chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, which can help raise your focus and energy. Choose dark chocolate that contains 75 – 80% cacao (or even higher), and with less sugar, so that you don’t get a sugar crash later on. Just make sure you only have ONE serving!
3. Greek Yogurt. Keep this around for a quick pick-me-up in the middle of the day. One study found that the priobiotics in yogurt causes you to have more brain activity! It is also packed with protein, so it will keep you going until dinnertime.
4. Nuts. It’s good to “go nuts”! Almonds, cashews and pine nuts are top choices to snack on because they contain magnesium, which has been proven to increase energy levels in people with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Stash a baggy in your purse so you don’t reach for something else when the slump hits! You don’t need to worry about the fat content if you choose almonds, just make sure that you watch your serving size (a small handful of almonds is a serving size) The healthy fats in these nuts actually boost weight loss!
5. Water. We know water isn’t considered a “snack” but getting enough h2o can help you stay alert and most of us are not getting enough of it. Studies have proven that dehydration causes feelings of fatigue – so keep filling up your water bottle!
These quick snacks should help you stay energetic until dinner time. You may also want to try prepping containers of fruits and veggies with high water content, such as some cubed watermelon, sliced cucumber, or strawberries. These will keep you satisfied as well as hydrated!
We hope this helps you banish the 3 pm slump and keeps you energetic for the rest of that “things-to-do” list you still have things to check off for the day!
Committed to your success,
The GetFitNow Team